Inside the Barn With: Clear Sailing
Hannah Hoch’s 11-year-old dark bay Warmblood mare, Clear Sailing, is unquestionably something special – which is made apparent by both her nickname (which is in fact “Special”) and her success in the show ring with Hannah, most recently including two second place finishes in the competitive Large Junior 15 and Under Hunters this past month at the National Horse Show.
Hannah shared more about what it is that makes Special so exceptional here!
· Special is very career-focused. “She likes to do her job and only her job. She doesn’t want to be cuddled. Probably the only time that she’s really happy is when she’s doing her job. I genuinely think that. She just doesn’t like people. She likes doing her job.”
· She does, however, have a weak spot for Hannah’s mom, Anne Hoch. “The only person that she actually likes is my mom, because my mom will give her food, take her out, and doesn’t ride her. That’s the only person she’ll ever let pet her face; she’s such a character.”
· Special’s favorite treats are apples. “She goes ham for apples.”
· At home, the True North team keeps things simple with Special. “We don’t really like to fill her brain with cavaletti work. We’ll do a lot of flat work and then jump once maybe twice a week. She likes very simple weeks.”
· If she were a student, you could likely find her sitting solo in the back. “She’d be like that girl that sits in the back of the class and doesn’t really want anyone to talk to her but also knows all of the answers.”
· Hannah’s favorite thing about Special is her drive. “She wants to win. She goes out there every time happy to be there, wanting to win.”